Michigan and Florida Healthcare Licensure Applications and Renewals

Often, professional health care providers come to us with unique issues in their license application status. These include criminal convictions, substance abuse and credentialing problems.

Here are frequently asked questions and answers about the licensure application and renewal process, including how criminal convictions and the likes are addressed.

Should I Contact an Attorney Upon Applying for the First Time?

In short, if you have no unique personal circumstances and are applying for the first time, you can complete the application process on your own without the advice of an attorney.

However, if you have a criminal conviction or unique personal circumstances which you believe may negatively impact your ability to be granted a license in your chosen health profession, it is imperative that you consult with an experienced licensing attorney. Your career or future depends on your ability to positively present yourself to the board.

What About Renewal?

If, since the time of your last renewal and your current renewal, you have been charged, convicted or investigated for an offense or a violation of the Public Health Code, it is important to seek the advice of an attorney. This way, you will know what you should report to the board, when you should report it and what that report should contain.

You also will have to supply information regarding your investigation, conviction or arrest in your renewal application. You must word this carefully so you can provide the board with the correct information, and avoid worsening your problems by providing incorrect, misleading, inaccurate, or information that will cause more questions than it answers. An attorney knowledgeable in professional licensing can assist you with this process.

What If I Was Disciplined in Another State and I am Applying or Renewing My Michigan or Florida License?

You must report all out-of-state convictions or final adverse administrative actions to your respective board within a certain timeline. Failure to do so is certain to result in adverse administrative action, emergency/summary suspension, or possible license revocation.

It is imperative you seek the assistance of a qualified attorney so you can properly report your adverse action to the board.

Must I Report a DUI or Criminal Offense to the Board?

Yes. Pursuant to MCL 333.16243(1)(c) and the Code of Criminal Procedure MCL 769.16a(7), any misdemeanor or felony conviction involving illegal delivery, possession or use of alcohol or a controlled substance, or any felony, must be reported by the court to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) within 21 days. If your crime involves substance use or possession (including DUI), the court has already reported your conviction. However, you must still report your conviction on your renewal application.

If you were convicted of a crime, there are three questions you must be cognizant of when filling out your renewal application. If any of these questions require a “yes” answer, you should contact a professional licensing attorney prior to renewal so they can assist you with responding to the Board’s inquiries:

    1. Have you been treated for substance abuse in the last year?
    2. Have you been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for two years or more?
    3. Have you been convicted of a crime involving the illegal delivery, possession, or use of alcohol or a controlled substance?

Robert Andretz, who handles criminal and regulatory matters at Chapman Law Group, talks about what happens when physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other licensed healthcare professionals are charged with DUI/DWI/OWI — and the possible solutions when you have a healthcare-based criminal law attorney on your side.

I am Unsure Whether My Conviction Will Show Up on a Criminal Background Check. Should I Report?

If your offense is a juvenile offense, was set aside or expunged under MCL 780.621, or qualified for some other special sentencing program such as deferment under MCL 333.7411, Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, or the Michigan Domestic Violence Deferral under MCL 769.4a, you should contact a professional licensing attorney to review the circumstances of your conviction and determine if you are required to report.

What If I Was Denied a License After Applying?

If you did not retain an attorney to assist you with your application and you were denied a license, you may still have options.

Generally, if you are denied licensure by your professional board, you are permitted to request a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge. In nearly all cases, you should exercise this right. At the hearing, an Assistant Attorney General will be assigned to your case and will argue on behalf of the board that you should not be granted a license.

It is imperative that you retain an attorney to fight for you in the administrative hearing to improve your chances of being granted a license.

Where Do I Go to Fill Out My License or Renewal Application?

Here are links to all the Florida licensing departments:

Here are links to all the Michigan licensing departments:

How Can Chapman Law Help Me?

As health care attorneys, we at Chapman Law Group have assisted many health professionals with a broad range of licensing, student licensing, residency, general certification, fellowship certification and specialty certification issues, as well as professional licensing for nearly all health professions governed by the Public Health Code.

Among the professionals we help:

  • Athletic trainers
  • Audiologists
  • Chiropractors
  • Counselors
  • Dentists
  • Dietetics and nutrition experts
  • Marriage and family therapists
  • Massage therapists
  • Medical practitioners
  • Nursing practitioners
  • Occupational therapists
  • Optometrists
  • Osteopathic medicine and surgery
  • Pharmacists
  • Physical therapists
  • Podiatric medical professionals and surgeons
  • Psychologists
  • Respiratory care workers
  • Sanitarians
  • Social workers
  • Speech pathologists
  • Veterinary medicine practitioners

Our health care lawyers are experienced in dealing with all of the licensing bodies regulated by the Public Health Code. We know what the boards are looking for and what information you will need to prepare and present to them, so that you may put yourself in the best light possible.

We have a long, strong track record at administrative hearings and we have assisted a number of health care professionals obtain their licenses — even after convictions, professional misconduct, substance abuse issues and professional negligence

Remember, if you are denied licensure initially because of your criminal conviction or unique personal circumstance, it will be increasingly difficult to subsequently receive licensure. That’s why you should seek counsel of a qualified professional licensing attorney — a Chapman Law Group attorney.

Each lawyer in our professional licensing defense practice group works with physicians, nurses, pain management clinics, pharmacists and other licensed healthcare professionals. We serve clients in Michigan (Detroit, Troy, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Lansing) and Florida (Miami, West Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville).

Call us today for a consultation.

Need an Attorney? Contact us now!


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Got A Question?

Contact me now to schedule a consultation.

Other Practice Areas​

Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs

Related Case Results

Related Blog Posts

FREE Health Care Newsletter

Stay up to date on the latest news in health care law!

FREE eBook!

Click the link below to download our compliance eBook now!

Got A Question?

Contact me now to schedule a consultation.
Chapman Law Group Favicon

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Send this to a friend